Hughes Tourney Photos
- Hughes 80 Riverview East Academy 15: In a game of two teams that were totally mismatched the Big Red jumped out to a 52-9 halftime lead and kept their foot on the pedal in defeating the small charter school from the East End in the semi-finals of the Hughes Holiday Tournament. Sophomore post Dwight Nared had a career night for Hughes tallying 19 points and 10 rebounds in the win for the double-double as The Big Red won their second game of the year, surpassing last year's win total. Sophomore guard Angel Rivera showed a great overall floor game with 10 points, 7 assists, and 4 steals in limited action due to the overwhelming margin. Hughes also got 12 points from junior wing Terry Cook, on 4/5 three point shooting, and 8 points from star sophomore wing Kevin Daniels. Hughes will play Clark tomorrow night in the championship game of the Hughes Holiday Tournament.
- Clark 72 Dayton Ponitz 48: The Cougars defensive pressure was too much for Ponitz to handle as Clark built a big lead and kept running in fresh bodies as they blew out their opponent. Senior guard Max Hassell had another huge night as he scored 28 points, including three consecutive three point baskets midway through the third quarter to swell the lead past twenty points. Clark also got 13 points from athletic wing David Burt in the win. Clark will face Hughes tomorrow night in the championship of the Hughes Holiday Tournament.
- Withrow 76 Kalamazoo Central (MI) 75: A schedule change pitted Withrow against Michigan's two time defending Division I State Champions, and the Tigers were up for the challenge. After a Devin Williams bucket with less then ten seconds gave Withrow the final lead game MVP Tim Coleman, a junior guard, stole the ball to seal the deal and put the Tigers at 2-0 at the Motorcity Roundball Classic in Detroit. Williams, a junior forward, led the scoring with 15 of his team high 17 points coming after half time (as foul trouble hampered him in the first). Junior wing Corey Wise scored 16 for Withrow, while sophomore guard Tyonte Robertson and Coleman each added 11 points.
- Walnut Hills 77 Elder 49: Junior post Isaiah Johnson scored 22 points with 16 rebounds while junior guard Sterling Gilmore added on 15 points in the Eagles convincing win over another GCL-South opponent.
- Louisville Trinity 60 Lakota West 47: The Firebirds fell in the quarterfinals of the Republic Bank Holiday Classic in Lexington to the most talented team in Kentucky. Early shooting woes doomed West as they were unable to get closer then within five in the second half. Junior guards Monty Boykins and Ali Barnes led the scoring with 13 and 10 points respectively.
- Moeller 63 Coral Reef (FL) 58: The Crusaders won their opening game at the Junior Orange Bowl Classic in Florida. Junior wing Josh Davenport continued his great season with a career high 30 points, and 10 rebounds to go along with it, as Moeller moved to 6-0.
- Dayton Thurgood 69 Marshall North College Hill 45: The Trojans fell behind early to the defending Division II State Runners-Up and never recovered as junior wing Mark Alstork led Thurgood to victory with 18 points. NCH was led by the 17 points of senior wing Jamal Ivery.
- Roger Bacon 64 Gainesville (KY) 62: The Spartans rebounded from yesterday's loss to pick up a win in the Kentucky Gaslight Classic.
- Lakota East received a bye until tomorrow as they made the winner's bracket at the Beach Ball Classic in South Carolina.