Plenty of good action this weekend including the biggest CMAC clash of the year and some GMC games that will have title implications. Let's preview these games and first take a look at one Wednesday score:
Summit 72 Cincinnati College Prep Academy 32: Sophomore point guard Kevin Johnson again led the way for the top ten Silver Knights with 17 points.
|Orlando Berry will be putting heavy|
pressure on the Withrow PG's all night
Friday, January 7th
- Taft @ Withrow: The one that everyone has been waiting for, this will be a standing room only type of showdown at Withrow. Aaron Thomas was good enough to carry Aiken to a win over Taft last year going 10-16 for 32 points (Taft's only league loss), can he do it again now that he is with Withrow? Ohio's top D3 team seems ready for the challenge as they have blown out everyone they have faced so far this season. Former Aiken teammate Jermaine Freeman will most likely start on AT, that will be a great matchup to follow. The other intriguing matchups in this game will be Taft's Dwayne Stanford and Adolphus Washington inside against Withrow's Devin Williams and Carl Porter. Withrow will need to be able to stop the penetration of Taft point guards Kadeem Palmer and Orlando Berry Jr as well as hold on to the ball when those two get up in them on their press.
- Prediction: Withrow is really coming alive of late and Taft has looked great all year, this could go either way. Taft's advantage in this game is depth and I think that will take its toll on a Withrow team that doesn't use its bench much. Taft wins a close game.
- Lakota East @ Middletown: Credit Coach Wally Vickers of East for having the foresight to supplement an already tough GMC schedule with a game at Huber Heights Wayne early in the year. That win definitely will help East as they prepare for the raucous atmosphere that they will be facing Friday. So far it looks like East is the favorite in the league and this win would really cement their early position. However, after getting upset by West on Tuesday the Middies know that this is a game they have to win at home. The key to this game will be how productive senior forward Kirby Wright is for the Middies. If he can't get going then this will be a tough game for Middletown to win.
Taft will have to find a way to stop
Aaron Thomas if they want to win.
- Princeton @ Mason: Another really intriguing GMC match-up Friday night. Both teams must know the importance of this game in the league standings. Princeton's senior trio of Lionel Hill, Ulysses Thomas, and Jay McCants has the experience and ability to go win this game on the road; but they will have to be organized in their attack against Mason's great defense. For Mason we know that Brian Carden will get his, for them to win they need junior forward Darrin Harris and junior shooting guard JD Sprague to hit shots.
- Prediction: Mason already has an easy win over a talented and athletic team in Winton Woods. I think that this game will go along those lines. Discipline will prevail and Mason wins this game, but it's close.
- Woodward @ Aiken: Both teams have had a lot of time to prepare for this one, neither team has played since Christmas. Trent Donald will need to set the pace for Woodward to have a chance. Trent's power and skill make him a tough cover inside for Aiken. Woodward will also have to focus on transition defense; particularly stopping whoever has the ball. Experienced players like Willy Moore and Gene Primus know that this is a must win if Aiken wants to stay near the top of the CMAC. Another storyline to follow in this game is Austin Grimes, Aiken's star sophomore small forward, first game against his former school.
- Prediction: Aiken wins this comfortably. Too much of a talent gap on the perimeter.
- Hughes @ Shroder
- North College Hill @ Lockland
- West High @ Elder
- Moeller @ Purcell Marian
- Mt. Healthy @ Winton Woods
- Colerain @ Hamilton
- Fairfield @ Lakota West
- Harrison @ Northwest
- Roger Bacon @ St. Xavier
- Milford @ Anderson
Other Notable Games:
Saturday, January 8th
- Roger Bacon vs Jeffersontown (KY): Tough game for Roger Bacon at one of the nation's premier events: The Dunkin Donuts Shootout in Lexington. J'Town has already defeated Middletown this season and is ranked #1 in Kentucky as well as top 25 nationally. They are led by senior center Zac Price (a Cleveland native) who will be suiting up for Coach Pitino at Louisville next season.
- Aiken @ Indian Hill
- Lakota East @ Woodward
- Elder @ Lakota West
- Hughes @ Moeller
- Turpin @ McNicholas