Oct 2, 2011

Moore finds his home...

“It's time,” '12 Cincinnati Aiken combo guard Willie Moore said as he wrapped up his official visit to Duquesne on Sunday. After two days, and one night, on campus Moore had seen enough to know that the Dukes were the right spot for him and made the commitment as he left the campus. 

“Their head coach, Coach (Ron) Everhart, just showed me so much love up there; he really made me feel welcome and wanted. The whole staff was real cool, they're fun to be around but when its time for basketball they're all business,” Moore said.

Always considered one of the top guard prospects in the state Willie's recruitment had its peaks and valleys but in the end he couldn't be more excited to be playing at Duquesne. “They play my exact style of ball. Push the ball, attack the lane, kick it out, and if your open shoot it. I really love passing the ball and Coach told me several times that they led the nation in assists last year and how their goal is to keep that going every year I'm there."

Moore might be an elite ballhandler and passer but his powerful and speedy drives to the rim, where he has a great sense of how to score around the rim, make him so dangerous offensively. “They told me that I can come in and have the green-light, just like the rest of the guys, and get my shots up and be aggressive looking for assists. I like how Coach Everhart pushes his players to get better but lets them do what they do best.”

After a busy summer with both the Cincinnati Knights and All-Ohio Purple the Cincinnati Aiken guard saw many suitors come through the school this fall to watch open gym including Cleveland State, James Madison, Eastern Kentucky, Kent State, and other schools like Wichita State and Dayton were expressing interest but no one could match Duquesne's appreciation for Moore's talent.

“They're just like a big family up there. Their players love each other and they love playing for the coaches. I think that I'm really going to fit in well up there.”

In Coach Everhart's five seasons at the helm Duquesne has improved each year in the Atlantic 10 standings and looks to have NCAA Tournament potential in the coming seasons. Having also produced a player on the Atlantic 10 All-Freshman Team each season since Everhart has been there means that Moore is likely to get his shot early to make an impact.

“Their program is just getting better and better. They're making all types of improvements to their facilities. It's a basketball school. I think that we can be competitive with anyone in the country. Coach (Everhart) wants to play as tough of a schedule as he can every season and that's what I'm all about. I can't wait.”  

1 comment: