|Kenny Knight and Nick McCoy|
Not everyone has heard of Ohio Midwestern College yet, even fewer know that they have a basketball team; all of that could be changing very soon. Ohio Midwestern, formerly known as Temple Union, took on the next step in developing it's young basketball program with their spring hiring of Coach Ricardo Hill. The founder of the successful AAU program the Cincinnati Lakers, and an assistant coach most recently at Walnut Hills and Aiken, Hill brings great passion to the job as well as an expertise of a lifetime in Cincinnati basketball. In his first year on the job Coach made it a priority to upgrade the talent level at Ohio Midwestern and he hit several home-runs, most notably bringing in 11 talented former Cincinnati city league players. OH-MW does not have an NCAA affiliation at the moment meaning they can play whoever they want; Coach Hill loaded the schedule with tough Division II and III programs including 3 of last year's top 10 D2 schools, Northern Kentucky University being one of them. The other advantage of having no affiliation is that any of their players can move on to an NCAA school and have instant eligibility. When you look up and down the roster there's no reason they can't surprise a few of these teams as this group gains more experience. Here's a quick look at the local players on the roster.........
- Nick McCoy- 6'1 PG Aiken '10: Fiery leader and big time scorer with great strength.
- Kenny Knight- 6'7 PF Aiken '10: Elite leaper with a complete skill set and high motor.
- Mervin Taylor- 6'2 SG Woodward '10: Averaged 23.7 ppg in HS. Non-stop scoring machine.
- Gene Primus- 6'0 PG/SG Aiken '11: Tough minded scoring guard and great defender.
- Marquez Johnson- 6'3 SF Taft '11: Athletic wing with toughness and scoring ability.
- Kadeem Palmer- 5'9 PG Taft '11: Speedy playmaker produces highlight assists.
- Jeremiah Chancellor- 6'9 C Woodward '10: Athletic post with toughness down low.
- Josh Chancellor- 6'8 C West High '11: Shotblocking post with soft touch.
- Keron Hicks- 6'2 SG Aiken '11: Scoring role player with a strong build.
- Ronmel Hicks- 5'10 PG Aiken '10: Great defender and leader who can shoot the ball.
- Brandon Smith- 6'6 PF West High '11: Athletic combo forward who can shoot the ball.
CPHR had the chance to see these boys in action at an open gym this week and came away very impressed with the level of play, none of these talented players have fallen off since we last saw them on the high school scene. We will try and bring you coverage from them all season long as they make their mark on the college basketball scene. Fans who want to see the team in action can keep an eye out for the schedule, their home games will be at Landmark Christian in Evendale.